I have been making this recipe since my kids were toddlers because it is about the simplest cookie recipe possible and it has some fun “hands-on” steps the kids love. Oh yeah, AND the cookies are delicious!
Thumbprint Jelly Cookies
1 Egg yolk
1/2 Cup white sugar
2 Cups flour (I used half white and half whole wheat)
1 Cup butter melted
jelly or jam
1) Preheat oven to 350F (177C).
2) Mix all ingredients except jelly and form into a big ball.
3) Break off small, meatball-sized pieces.
4) Have child roll piece into ball, then flatten ball with palm of hand.
5) Ask child to show you his/her thumb by sticking it into the air, then push thumb into centre of each cookie.
6) Fill each thumbprint with jelly or have child do this depending on how old he/she is.
7) Bake for about 10-15 minutes. That’s it, have fun!